Mohawk is looking for a purchasing manager. The successful candidate will lead a small purchasing team, source quality vendors and products, reduce costs, and maintain optimal inventory levels.
- Initiate, direct, and supervise purchasing projects.
- Assign and evaluate responsibilities within department.
- Implement cost-reduction initiatives.
- Coordinate with bidding and contracts departments with time-sensitive pricing agreements under strict deadlines.
- Issue purchase orders and blanket orders and enter into purchasing agreements within Mohawk's policies.
- Negotiate rebates and discounts with vendors.
- Update department heads on current developments and future projects.
- Manage purchasing research and development.
- Review bid history of non-stocking and non-inventory items.
- With engineering department, identify profitability and availability of prospective items
- Determine final disposition of new parts, whether they are to be re-engineered, OEM-sourced, or manufactured.
- Manage inventory
- Review non-profitable inventory and determine product's end of life or re-source for better margin.
- Maintain set min and max inventory levels.
- Review open contracts to insure appropriate stocking levels to fulfill the contracts.
- Monitor increased usage and inquiries for non-stocking items.
- Track OEMs for part supersessions and obsolescence.
- Update lead times and vendor pricing.
- Evaluate current and future suppliers.
- Resource, develop, and maintain relationships within the OEM supply chain.
- Preserve and expand vendor relationships for Mohawk-brand and private-labeled products.
- Evaluate all suppliers based on quality, pricing, and delivery.
- Travel to vendors for onsite inspection and qualification when necessary.
- Serve as primary purchasing communication contact for all cross-functional teams, vendors, and customers.
- Attend appropriate departmental and/or company meetings of updates and discussion of any relevant problems.
- Undergraduate degree, technical-related degree or equivalent experience, particularly in parts procurement or purchasing.
- 7+ years of experience as a leader in a purchasing department within an automotive parts environment. Experience in the heavy-duty, truck parts, and/or mass transit fields a plus.
- Knowledge of various design, materials, development, manufacturing processes and assembly operations.
- Global knowledge of suppliers and international and domestic markets.
- Experience in gloval vendor negotiations and in emerging economies.
- Continuous quality evaluation of off-shore manufacturers.
- Ability to evaluate importers and ocean freighters for rates, fees, and delivery.
- Adaptability and flexibility to change course during major events that cause supply chain disruption and upheaval.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and testing results.
- Familiarity with basic machine types, design build and test services.
- Knowledge of estimating and quoting business.
- Ability to learn and maintain knowledge of all Mohawk products, policies, and procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, search engines, and other research tools.
- High analytical and problem-solving ability.
- Flexibility to be able to support changing priorities and needs.
- Attention to detail.
- Listening skills.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, use time most effectively, and organize tasks efficiently.
- Excellent trouble shooting skills.
- Confidence and initiative.
- Ability to manage a team, both within a small department and across several departments.
This position description is meant to describe the typical kinds of duties or difficulty level that may be required of positions with this title. The use of a particular expression shall not limit nor exclude other duties or difficulty levels not mentioned. This position description is not meant to limit or modify Mohawk’s right to assign, direct or control the work assigned to this position. Mohawk is Proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce.
Normal office environment with minimal exposure to dust, noise, etc. Heavy PC use.
Mohawk offers competitive compensation, including health, dental, and life insurance, PTO, retitrement plan, and more.
Interested applicants should send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.